Chapter 17

Miss Bluejay took a deep breath before knocking on the door to Alma and Esmé's home. It had been decades since she'd seen them. And she didn't notice the Raven that had been following her since she entered the loop.

Esmé glanced over when she heard it and smiled at Willow.

"Darling, could you get the door please?" Esmé asks and the girl nods before leaving.

Miss Bluejay smiled warmly at the girl who opened the door. "Is this the home of Miss Peregrine and Miss Gyr?"

"Yeah, they're my moms. Who are you?"

Miss Bluejay was surprised hearing the two were officially together and it wasn't just a rumour.

"I am Miss Emily Bluejay." She says softly.

Willow looked up at her surprised for a moment, then she grinned. "You're Miss Bluejay?! Mom come quick!" She yelled into the house.

Esmé looked at her daughter confused and looked over at the door before her eyes widened for a moment, Miss Bluejay smiling when she seen her.

Esmé rushed over and hugged her tightly. "I've missed you! How are you?" She asked as Alma came downstairs.

"I'm good. My how you've grown since I've seen you last." She says with a smile, looking over her. "I feel like just yesterday you were a little girl at the academy."

Esmé blushed out of embarrassment. "Who's at the door, lovely?" She heard Alma walk up behind her. The woman let out a small gasp when she saw her old mentor.

"Miss Bluejay?" Alma says and smiles when the mentor recognized her.

"Hello, dear, it's been a long time since I've last seen you both." She says, hugging the woman close. "And who is that little one who answered the door? Did you both have your own children?" Miss Bluejay asks with a smile when she pulled away.

"That was our second youngest, Willow." Esmé smiled proudly. "We have five children." Alma smiled and wrapped an arm around Esmé's waist.

"Are you two finally together?" Miss Bluejay asked with a laugh.

"We've been happily married for over a decade." Alma said with a grin.

"After years of denial I see." Miss Bluejay says with a smug look and Ayn laughed, the mentor looking over and immediately her heart dropped.

Miss Bluejay grabbed Alma and Esmé and brought them behind her to protect them. "Miss B, it's alright." Esmé said gently. "It's just Ayn."

"Ayn?" She asks confused and she tensed when the wight walked over.

"Ayn stay over there until she knows you're safe." Alma says, unamused and the wight rolled her eyes before going over, Evelyn stepping out of the kitchen.

"Why do you have wights in your home?" Miss Bluejay asked as she assessed the nearest exits.

"They're our friends. They won't harm us." Esmé said gently.

"How can you trust them? It was those things that killed Miss Raven!"

Esmé felt a twinge in her chest at the name but shoved it off.

"Because, I was going to be killed myself by Barron. She was the only one who saved me." Esmé says softly, Evelyn looking at the two confused. "So did she. When the council sent me to some raided loop."

Miss Bluejay sent them a hesitant look but sighed. If they trusted them, she supposed she could try. "Plus I'm dead anyway." Ayn smiled and shrugged.

"Ayn." Alma scolded.