Chapter 54

Esmé was woken up an hour later than usual, Alma having let her sleep in. "Hey darling, wake up." Alma said gently.

"Mmph." Esmé replied, tired and half falling back to sleep.

"Darling, open your eyes." Alma says with a small smile, pressing a small kiss on her lips.

"Mm tired." Esmé groaned.

"I made your favorite breakfast." Alma said with a smile, catching Esmé's attention.

"Did you eat anything?" Esmé asks, checking in with her and Alma hesitated before shaking her head.

"I made breakfast for you." She says with a smile. Esmé sat up with a stretch, Alma seeing her in only her underwear and bra when she did.

"Have some." Esmé says, not wanting her wife to skip eating.

"It's for you, dear." Alma said gently.

"I insist." Esmé said and Alma knew she wasn't winning the argument.

Alma took a small bite of a strawberry and Esmé pressed a gentle kiss to her cheek.

"What did you do this all for?" She asks with a smile.

"I knew you wouldn't remember." Alma said with a small sad smile. "It's your birthday, honey."

"Oh." She says softly. "Well thank you." She says with a small smile and Alma gently brought a strawberry up to her lips, Esmé opening her mouth with a blush.

Alma smiled and pressed a kiss to her cheek, leaning against her gently. "I love you so much."

"I love you too." Esmé says softly, handing Alma a piece of her toast.

"Darling, it's for-" Esmé shushed her and placed it in her hand.

Alma smiled at her and took a bite of the toast. "I hope you know, you're going to be spoiled today."

"Alma, you know you don't have to." Esmé says with a raised eyebrow as she smiled at the woman.

"Well I want to." She says and her smile faltered for a moment.

"Is something wrong?" Esmé asked gently.

"No, it's alright darling." Alma smiled at her.

"You can tell me." Esmé says softly, placing a soft kiss to her cheek.

"I know, but it's your birthday. I want to celebrate with you." Alma said gently.

Esmé looked her over with a raised eyebrow and Alma sighed.

"I just don't like knowing how your wards treated you all those years and I couldn't do a thing to help." Alma says softly and Esmé pressed a soft kiss to her lips.

"It's over now." Esmé said gently. "I'm here and I'm happy." Alma nodded and wrapped her arms around the younger woman. "I love you Alma."

"I love you so much more." Esmé laughed when she felt the woman's arms tighten around her.

"You're perfect!" Alma said happily as she hugged Esmé tightly. "Would you like your first gift of the day?"

"Of the day?" Esmé asks, surprised and Alma smiles at her with a smug look.

"I'll get your first gift."

Alma stood and moved to grab a gift bag from her dresser before walking back over to Esmé with a smile. "Here you go baby."

"Thank you." Esmé says with a small smile, smiling even more when Alma kissed her gently.

"Open it." Alma grinned. Esmé smiled and pressed a kiss to her lips before opening the bag.