Chapter 6

Esmé didn't try to avoid the older girl, but she was starting to grow a bit annoyed when the ymbryne kept her eyes out for her. After breakfast, she'd have to go to her first class with her.

"You're upset with me." Alma said. It wasn't a question, but she was stating a fact.

"No I'm not. Just because everyone adores you, doesn't mean the moment I stop that I'm irritated with you." Esmé says with a glare, but the older girl still walked alongside her to class.

"I like you, Esmé. You're a good friend. I don't want to argue." She said simply before walking ahead, leaving the younger girl behind.

Esmé kept her gaze to the floor, purposely walking slower, not caring if she was late to class doing so.

Alma sat in her seat and waited for Esmé to show up. Though she was surprised when the bell rang to see Esmé still wasn't there.

Alma perked her head up when she seen the teacher check outside the classroom, equally surprised the girl didn't show up and didn't see her in the hall either.

Alma grew worried and asked to use the bathroom. The teacher allowed it and Alma went to Esmé's dorm instead.

She opened the door and didn't find her there. Worried and confused she went down the hall, spotting one girl by a closet where the cleaning supplies were kept.

Alma walked over, confused as to why she'd be there. "Esmé?"

"Not Esmé." The girl answers and Alma got a look at her.

"Oh, Isabel. I thought you were someone else." Alma says and then sighed. "Do you know where Esmé is?"

"Detention." She says with a roll of her eyes.

"What? Why in birds name is she in detention?" Alma asked, confused.

"I don't know, why don't you go ask her?" Isabel snaps and walks off. Alma knew she should head back to class. Maybe she'd stop by afterwards.

Alma went back to class and sat down, but she couldn't focus on anything her mentor said. Her mind was too preoccupied.

Before she knew it, the bell rang and she quickly got out of her seat and left, looking down the hall before turning to where the office door was.

She rushed down the hall, hoping someone could explain why Esmé was in detention.

"Miss Cockatoo?" Alma asks when the mentor left the room and into the hall, looking over at Alma. "Whys Esmé in detention?"

"Miss Gyr hasn't been the best since her arrival." She simply says and walks off, leaving Alma confused.

Alma seemed upset and moved to enter the detention room, where there was another mentor there with Esmé.

She seen the ymbrynes hand around the girls arm and Esmé sent Alma a half panicked look before returning her gaze back to the floor, her talons curling into her palms at her mentors gaze.

"What's going on?" Alma asked.

"You shouldn't be here, Alma." The mentor glared at her. "This isn't any of your concern."

"I should get to know." Alma says firmly but the woman dropped the girls arm, instead moving to shut the door. Esmé glanced around, a bit panicky from what she was told a few moments ago.

"No, Miss Toucan!" Alma said upset. The mentor didn't pay her any mind.

"Miss Avocet assigned me to look after her, I should get to know!" Alma says firmly by the door and looked over when she felt someone rest their hand on her shoulder and saw Miss Raven.