7

"How long ago you seen them?" I kept asking Jamie, my nerves getting bad and my temper flying up and down like the flow of traffic on 95. She had one hand on the steering wheel and the other on her phone, checking to see if anyone was buying lashes today or what. Hustle must have been slow because she sucked her teeth and tossed her phone into the cupholder. Jamie was all over the place sometimes but she knew how to hustle and I respected that shit more than anyone else. She always made sure she and her people ate, even if she didn't need to. I don't like to depend on no fucking body and 'I don't want nobody to feel like they can depend on me unless I let them see that side of me' she always said.

"Girl it has to be last weekend or some shit. I saw her and she had on this outfit that would've looked good as fuck on her when she was young, but it was just so loose and showed so much and..." Jamie swallowed hard and gripped the steering wheel as if trying to keep control of the conversation. But i saw in her eyes that there was more to that story that she just wasn't gonna tell me. "Girl, I don't like that nigga Junior." Jamie sucked her teeth, looked at her phone and put her phone back on the charger cable.  "Just the way he be looking and the way he be grilling niggas all day and night. And that one gold tooth in his mouth and shit. He just scream pimp to me.

I shifted in my seat, looking out the window trying to calm myself down. Jamie must've caught wind how hard my mood had changed hearing this cause she instantly put her free hand on my arm and squeezed a little to bring me back to the moment. "Girl I wouldn't worry about it." she stated "Junior probably not even as bad as he looks. And the way yo mama talk about him, she must really love him. I know I can't say much-"

"Yeah, cause you not living in the projects with a mama who's high all day and night who can't even make her bills with her check." I spat at her. the air was sucked dry in that car and I felt so fucking bad. "Jamie, girl I'm sorry, i-" She took a deep breath, let go of her grip on me and tapped her finger on the steering wheel as she looked up at the red light waiting for it to change colors. After it turned green and she put her foot on the gas she continued on with the conversation as if nothing happened.

I guess she was used to my frustrated outbursts.

"But I know yo mama mean well despite everything going on. Now c'mon," she turned on the radio and City Girls was on blast. On instinct, she stuck her tongue out and snapped her fingers getting ready to shake her ass in her seat with a big smile on her face. "Fuck that shit with yo mama cause at the end of the day she grown and you grown and at the verrrry end of the day yo mama need you more than you need her and she knows that. She held her phone in front of her and took a picture of herself to post on Snapchat. When she was satisfied she put the phone down again and sucked her teeth. "Drugs a hard ass nigga to get rid of, but its doable." Remember that. I just looked at her, rolled my eyes and shook my head with a smile. she so damn stupid but she my girl without a doubt.

I checked my face in the mirror, took a breath and grabbed my purse. Yeah. She ain't have to tell me that shit, I saw it every day.

- - -

Me and Jamie was browsing through the shops just coolin' and getting away from everything. I kept my cool and just shot niggas down when they approached me but it always was the roughneck looking niggas that made a bee-line to Jamie. She always got the niggas with dreads and golds while I would get the clean cut Abercrombie and fitch ass dudes who had maybe some fangs but never a full mouth.

She was always turning down niggas wherever we went and even though I wasn't no ugly broad it kind of shocked me how they just came out the woodwork to talk to her. But I ain't have no ugly friends – Jamie had titties, Jamie had ass, pretty ass cocoa butter skin and she had this cute beauty mark under her eye and lip that typical niggas would deem 'exotic'. She ate that shit up but it made my eyes roll to the crack of my ass, just what the fuck is exotic? Exotic is a fruit from an island. Exotic is a fabric only sold across the country. Why the fuck niggas think people need to be exotic?

We sat down at the food court with our food. Well my food, Jamie just got a milkshake and by the way she was biting on her straw looking at her phone, she was mad at something.

I cleared my throat and hummed playfully in between bites of food "Girl you look good as fuck, you mixed? You lookin' real exotic." I quoted this one dude when we left out an underwear store with a big ass smile, Jamie had rolled her eyes too and just shook her head. "niggas make me mad, like why is it that cause I'm a little lighter and I know how to lay a wig it makes me mixed? I'm black for all that matter and that's all that should matter." She shook her head with her face in her phone

I nodded my head in agreement while I stuffed my mouth with this bomb ass cajun rice I got from the foodcourt - I don't know what they be putting in their orange chicken but I can thank them for partially getting me thick so successfully. I looked down at my text messages and saw that Cut had text me back a little while ago asking what I was doing that day. I hit him back hoping he'd be hitting me back soon.

wya?

at the mall with my homegirl wbu?

shit same thang, which mall?

Harbour islands mall. it's down in Miami.

lol stop lyin. I'm just leaving out of Tommy here. you still hea?

My heart skipped a beat and my eyes went big as fuck. Jamie must've noticed it cause she looked at me with a raised eyebrow as she put her gloss back on. "what's up girl?" she asked me.

"That nigga Cut is here girl. should I meet him?"

"Fine ass Cut with the money? Girl don't be stupid you better meet up with him!" she was always my hype man when shit made sense to her. otherwise, she would tell me quick to back the fuck out. but Jamie thought like me, she thought with the money.

yeah, I'm at the food court with her. You got a friend? I dont want my friend to just be standing here awkward.

Ya i got u. be there in a few mins

You couldn't tell me I wasnt a giddy bitch! I took a long sip of my milkshake and smiled from ear to fucking ear. Jamie just smirked at me and danced in her seat right along with me. "Girl so he coming?" she asked me even though she knew the damn answer.

"Girl yes! and he said he got a friend with him. Is that okay? I asked her.

"You know I don't care. I can fake it like the next bitch."

I smiled at her silly ass and closed the to-go plate on my food while wiping my mouth off of any food that might have smeared on my face "C'mon girl help me find a bathroom so I can fix my face." I was already making a bee-line the direction the food-court sign was pointing to the bathroom.

jamie scrambled up from her seat with her food and bags in a huff "Damn, bitch, you just meeting the nigga not throwing it back on 'em!"

Shit, if it's for a bag I'll throw more than just it back on him.