31

We didn't even go to school the next day or the next few days, actually. Jamie had been throwing up and shaking since she came home that night and all she been doing is crying.

I wish she'd tell me what happened and which gun I need to get to cap these niggas.

-

"She still not feelin' good?" eyes squinted ahead as he fought the early-evening sunset, Cut pulled out of the Winn-Dixie parking lot with me, turning the corner to hop backon I-95.

"I don't think so." I breathed. "She just throws up and cries all day and I don't know what else to do. I don't want to leave her alone while i'm at school cause her auntie sleep all day."

I made a noise that was similar to a silent Ion know And just continued to look out the window.

"Well, you know if you need anything to just call me, ma." he placed a reassuring hand on my thigh, squeezing it firmly.

"I got you."

"Shit, sometimes I don't even know if I got myself half the time, so I appreciate it."

I put my phone face up on my lap, both my thumbs cradling the corners as if it was going to drop. On top of Jamie, my daddy tried calling again a few days after his first call and he sounded like he reallyt wanted to talk to me. He must've found out about the shit down here and now he want to put on his cape and save little ole me.

I wanted to be mad but truth be told I missed my daddy. He was the only nigga I fully loved and trusted.

I looked over to Cut who was looking at his phone at the red light. On impulse, I leaned over and kissed his cheek slowly.

"Damn," he chuckled "What I did like that?"

"You ain't had to do nothin', I just like you. Not cause of what you doin' for me but I was feelin' you since the day I seen you at the store." I pointed at the famous corner store Mumphrey's That was famous for being a cover for selling drugs and low-and-behold I seen Cut out there. Hangin' round his boys fresh as always.

I ain't never told him I had to burrow through the lower-class d-boys who followed and idolized him but that's neither here nor there.

"Well, shit. I appreciate that ma, can't say i'm not taking a liking to you too." the light turned green and we was back on the road to Jamie house.

"Taking a liking?" I scoffed playfully. "Please, you already like me." I tilted my neck away from him with a sideeye before we both started laughing.

"So," I changed the subject. "You going to come over later? I don't want to interrupt yo hustle just to pattycake with me."

"Nah, you good. Trust, the money flows whether i'm present in class or absent."

"So, what, you got niggas running the street for you while you sit at home eating doughnut sticks?"

"Swiss rolls. And, I guess you can say but you can't say at the same time.  I just made sure to help my hood and the hood do its best to help me." he put his phone in the cupholder and looked over at me with a smoldering gaze. "C'mere right quick?"

"Why?" I touched my face. "Something on me?"

"Something like that. Just come here."

I hesitated before leaning in a little. He met me halfway, using his free hand to pull me in by my back to kiss me. It wasn't no awkward first kiss shit but it really felt like a grown man was kissing me and not some nigga out of high school.

I felt his stubble tickle the top bottom of my nose and it made me laugh. Playing along, I pushed forward and slid my tongue in his mouth to show him I wasn't scared.