17

As Anaiis walked closer to her house, she could hear the soothing melody of Anita Baker. She remembered this song like yesterday. Caught Up in The Rapture of Love. It was like her mind went blank and she stopped walking. Her mind began to wander back to a simpler time. When shit made sense and her grandma was still alive. Her daddy and her mama was still together. She actually felt like a kid.

She dropped her duffle bag to her feet and felt her mind leave her body.

Back to her happy place.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Caught up In the Rapture of Love

Anaiis had to be about 8 years old and her mama was about 8 months clean. Sweet Toni and her had rekindled and bought a nice Townhouse up west in the suburbs. Real picture perfect shit.

It was Christmas time and Kandi mama, Miss Ruthy, was staying with them while she was in town.

Miss Ruthy didn't stay in Miami no more. She up and moved up to South Carolina with her husband about 5-6 years ago and never looked back. Kandi wasn't no only child either. Kandi had about 4 brothers and 2 other sisters, all big success stories. Kandi was the one who decided to stay behind and be the party girl. Luckily she caught the eye of Sweet Toni and he wifed her ever since. Promises of a wedding ring and all.

When she was sober.

Anaiis was sleeping in the same bed with Miss Ruthy but Kandi was up early in the kitchen. Sweet Toni was still out of town but he reassured Anaiis that he was coming back in time to celebrate Christmas with his family.

The picture perfect family.

Anita Baker's 'Lovely' was playing faintly down the hall from the kitchen and the smell of pancakes and sweet French toast coated the 4 bedroom townhouse magically. Either the smell or the music stirred little Anaiis awake but either way, she scooted from under her grandma and tiptoed out of the bedroom. Her hair was neatly twisted with Christmas colored knockers dangling at the ends of her shoulder-blade length hair and she wore cute Snoopy Christmas pajamas that her mama picked out special for today.

Her parent's bedroom was on the 1st floor so Anaiis had to come up with a plan to sneak downstairs to open her presents and say Merry Christmas to her mama.

The next song up was 'Sweet Love' by Anita Baker and it was just all so perfect. The smell of bacon popping on the stove excited Anaiis all the more. She rushed into the kitchen with eyes bright and a smile as wide as the horizon, but it was empty. The music was still going and all she could tiptoe to see on the counter appeared to be a toothpick and a clear Ziploc of.. flour?

Why did mommy have flour in a Ziploc next to a toothpick? Thought Anaiis. She must need help making shapes for the Christmas cookies! I'll help her!