42

"That shit crazy, yo!" I planted both of my cuffed hands on my head and just took a long sigh. Of all the places I'd find Bucky Triny it had to be her being my CO. And to think I was already beating my meat to her but she ain't have to know all of that.

"Mhm. Now, I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life or be like one of those other dumb C.Os who done up and risked their career falling in love with an inmate but.. why are you in here Skooby? You never looked to be the type to be caught up in shit this bad? And you know the other officers are talking about your case. You still be in the projects like that?"

My jaw tightened as I looked away. Guess I was just turning into your regular inmate celebrity. So I already knew that if correction officers were buzzing about my case then the inmates who was itching to have a trial was looking in on it and that made me nervous. Real nervous.

"speaking of, you still cool with that girl Ana?"

There went that ringing sound in my ear as soon as Trinity said her name. It went from a ringing to a pounding in my ears, almost like I could hear my own heart fall out of my ears and onto the floor. My fingers got extra sensitive and my nose suddenly ice cold.

"Isaiah, you alright? I had just asked if Miss Kand-"

"Aye, to tell you the truth, Trinity, I don't wanna talk about Ana or Miss Kandi. Matter of fact," I wiped both of my imaginarily sweaty palms, "Can you take me back to my cell? I think imma just lay down in there."

Trinity's eyes looked worried but I ain't even bother to look back her way. I just kept my eyes focused to the door.

"You sure? The nurse hasn't even come back to evaluate you-"

"Yeah. I said I'm good. If anything Marquis uh bring me back and I'll lay down then." My tone was sharp, I knew it. But I ain't really care. I was feeling this rage in me that I knew for a fact wasn't gonna simmer down if I stayed here and entertained Trinity curiousity.

"Alright. Lemme just radio it in."

-

After lunch in the dining hall, Marquis and I headed to the law library just to kick it away from the hot ass TJK rec yard. They called it recreation but wasn't shit out there to do but bench press or post up and I honestly wasn't in the mood for none of that shit. So I figured, why the fuck not?

I'm looking at life anyway. I got all the time in the world.

"Man, I can't believe you grew up with that fine ass CO like that. And you mean to tell me she ain't have none of that when she was younger? Man, shit, if I ain't have this baby on the way-"

"Man you wouldn't have done shit, quit playin' yourself. Just vibe on the information though because she don't want nobody to know that we know eachother."

Marquis nodded in agreement as he dropped a few law books down in front of me with a nerdy, eager smile. "I feel you. To be real, I'd be a little embarrassed at that turn of events."

"Shit, who you telling? And I thought I had a chance at that ass but not when orange is on mine."

"Aye, man, don't give up hope. Remember, you always got burden of proof on your side."

"Yeah.. burden of proof is an understatement." I leaned back in the rickety wooden seat and crossed my arms in regression, gritting my teeth and tensing my jaw left to right.

"What's up witchu man?" Marquis tipped his Malcom X style glasses upwards and leaned forward into a hush tone.

"What your lawyer talkin' about man? You look like you seen a ghost since coming back from your consult?"

I looked at Marquis like he owed me 3 stacks right then and there before pinching the bridge of my nose and taking a long, hard breath. "They talkin' death penalty man."

"Death?! That's bullshit, on what grounds?"

"Burden of proof. Like you said."

"What about fingerprints? Shell casings? Cross-examinations of gun residue? Shit, man, what about that girl you was close with-" he snapped his fingers multiple times like he was praying for lucky joy in rolling dice. "A-Ana. Wasn't she there? Why she ain't testifying?"

I looked away and shrugged my shoulders. "Your guess is as good as mine, man. I been tryna get in contact with her since I got in here and every end is dead. Can't get a hold of the dad, the grandmas on both sides, the friend, its like everyone just left me in this shit to die." I pulled in my bottom lip till the skin turned white as I felt tears burning in the corner of my eyes.

"Aw, shit. Man, that's fuckin' bullshit. Listen, I have a cousin who's a lawyer. I'll have him look over your case and I want you to sit with him to represent you and I promise you he wont be charging as much as that posh-ass lawyer is."

My eyes narrowed Marquis' direction suspiciously. "Why you doing all this shit for someone you met in jail, my nigga. For all you know, I really could've killed them people."

Marquis swallowed, nervous and just laughed off his intimidation. "Truth be told, I don't know. But the way you talk about your family, your sister, even that girl Ana and all the shit she been through, I can't really associate that with no killer. If this blows up in my face, fine. But I know one person who gonna chalk this shit up to the good book." Marquis pointed his finger up to the roof with a nerdy ass smile. "And you can chalk that shit to you coming to my baby girl's 1st birthday party. Just no guns to cut the cake, cool?"

"Oh you got fuckin' jokes." I smiled wide before clapping him up in thanks.

"Someone has to! I wait on you to cheer up I'm gonna blend into the cement like everyone else who's given up."

-

Filler chapter, see y'all next one!

Don't forget to follow me on instagram to interact with me and more - @/bdotbonne

Lets run these numbers up!