Chapter 33

Markus' POV

Josh paced back and forth, clearly frustrated. Simon looked somewhat frightened and uncertain. North just looked disappointed.

"We're short on blue blood and biocomponents. Our wounded are shutting down and there's nothing we can do!" Josh said.

"President Warren is saying we're a threat to national security and we need to be exterminated," Simon added.

"Humans are conducting raids in all the big cities and they're taking androids to camps to destroy them," North said.

"It's a disaster. They're slaughtering our people!" Simon said.

"It's all our fault. None of this would've happened if we had just stayed quiet!" Josh said, somewhat hostilely. I knew he was upset, but I was confident that standing tall was the right move. I turned to face them all.

"All we did was show them who we really are. I don't want war, but I'd rather die free than live as a slave." I said.

"What's the point of being free in no one is left alive?" Josh asked.

"Humans enslaved us! I'll never regret standing up to that!" I told him.

"We shouldn't forget who our enemies are. We can't fight amongst ourselves." Simon said.

"He's right." North agreed. "All that matters now is what we do next." I knew that I had to make a choice. "Markus?" North asked. I thought about it. I knew I had to try to reach out one more time.

"Dialog is the only way. I will go alone, and try to talk to them one last time." I said. North shook her head.

"Don't do this, Markus. They'll kill you!" She said.

"Maybe...but North, I have to try. If I don't come back, lay low as long as you can." I said.

"They need to realize how much they're hurting us. Find the right words and they'll listen." Josh said. Simon nodded in agreement and they both left. That just left me and North. Now that the others had left, I could voice more of my thoughts.

"Is this what we dreamed of?" I asked.

"They can't stop what we've started. Since you've been here you've given us hope. You've given me hope." North said. "Today, a deviant arrived in Jericho and told me he stole a truck transporting radioactive cobalt. He said that he abandoned the truck somewhere in Detroit and rigged it to explode. I convinced him not to do it, and to give me the detonator." North said.

"A dirty bomb..." Markus said.

"We can't lose this war, Markus. If humans overcome us, our people will disappear forever. This may be our only chance to survive if things go wrong." She said. I knew it was a good fail-safe, but it wasn't what I wanted. It was up to me and even I had to admit that it was a good last resort for survival, but not for peace. I made my choice. I pushed it away.

"We shouldn't become like them, North. We can gain our freedom by other means." I told her. She looked disappointed again, but I had honestly gotten used to that with the things she wanted versus the choices I made.

"I hope you're right." She said. "Markus...I just want you to know that...if anything happens I..." She looked away. "I'm glad I met you." I took her hand and I kissed her. After our moment together, she pulled away. "I'll go join the others. Look after yourself. I don't wanna lose you." She said. She walked out and I felt myself wanting to stay with her, but I couldn't. I had to stay strong for now. I couldn't go to her while I had people to lead. Not at the moment, anyway. I would protect her and I cared for her, but our moments together would have to wait. She was right. It was up to me to lead our people. 

I stayed there, thinking. I wondered if I really had been doing the right thing. Were more choices going to help us? I couldn't help doubting it for a few moments. If only I had known somebody had been listening to us before. And if only I'd known that he had a very different objective.

Connor's POV

I found Markus, but there were still androids with him. Markus talked with the other girl for a moment before she left too. I listened as they shared their moment. I felt something in my chest at the moment. It was a sort of ache. It was almost like a longing. I thought of (Y/n) yet again. Was that why? Was she the reason? I wished I understood it. I then realized I was wasting time. I shut my eyes tight, forcing it away. I made sure to stay hidden as she walked out. I went to talk to Amanda quick.

"Well done, Connor. You succeeded in locating Jericho and finding their leader. Now deal with Markus. We need it alive." She told me. With that, I left and I got ready. I took out my gun.

Objective: Stop Markus

Markus' POV

As I was thinking, I didn't hear that there was somebody behind me. They spoke up, letting me know they were there.

"I've been ordered to take you alive." I turned and spotted an android there. He looked familiar to me. "But I won't hesitate to shoot if you give me no choice." He said.

"What are you doing? You are one of us. You can't betray your own people." I said. He looked the smallest bit conflicted.

"You're coming with me!" He ordered. I knew I had to convince him.

"You're nothing to them. You're just a tool they use to do their dirty work. But you're more than that. We're all more than that." I said. He didn't say anything. "Our cause is righteous, and we are more than what they say. All we want is to live in freedom." I told him. Once again, he said nothing, but he didn't waver either. "Do you never have any doubts? You've never done something irrational as if there's something inside you? Something more than your program. Have you never wondered who you really are? Whether you're just a machine executing a program or a living being capable of reason. I think the time has come to ask yourself that question." I told him. I saw his gaze waver a bit as if he were remembering something important. I knew what I had to say next. "It's time to decide."