Chapter 52

You all arrived back at Hank's place and Sumo hurried inside to eat. You sat down on the couch as Hank went to grab something to drink. Connor sat down next to you and Hank came back soon enough with a can of pop. You all stayed there for a moment before you said something.

"When do you think everyone will come back?" They both looked at you.

"Don't know," Hank admitted.

"My predictions say it will be about 2 and a half to three weeks. Re-immigration into the city will be steady at first and then everyone will come back." Connor explained. You nodded.

"I guess androids have time to plan then." You said.

"I suppose so." Connor agreed.

"What do you think is going to happen with all of that? I mean, you guys are free so how exactly are we going to make sure everything's...equal? I mean there are still differences." Hank pointed out. "And I mean that in the best way, Connor."

"It's alright. I understand, Lieutenant. I'm not offended." He replied.

"But Hank's right. What is going to happen?" You asked.

"That much I cannot be sure of. That is up to Markus and his group to decide along with the president. I'm sure it will take time for everything to be complete."

"Well, if the president is willing, hopefully, this will go a lot quicker," Hank said.

"Agreed," Connor said with a nod. Hank sighed.

"Well, you two should probably be on your way. My place isn't too exciting. Besides, you two should find something to do besides laze around with me." You chuckled. You stood up and so did Connor. You gave Hank a hug.

"See ya, Hank." Connor hugged Hank as well.

"Take care, Lieutenant." He said with a smile.

"Stop being so formal with me, son. I told you this before." Connor shrugged.

"Sorry, Hank." Hank chuckled.

"Guess I'm never gonna shake that now, huh?" 

"You aren't gonna shake it? He stays with me." You said while slipping on your coat. Hank laughed and Connor blushed, embarrassed. You smiled a little at him. "Come on, Connor." He began to follow you, but Hank caught him and told him to wait a second. You waited until the two of them were done and then you left with Connor by your side.

"Sorry for the delay." He said.

"Nah, it's fine." You said. "But...what did he say?" You asked, curious now. 

"Oh, he was just asking when the Department would be up and running again. As much as he likes time off, his house isn't exactly modern." Connor explained with a slight smile. You could hear the humor, but you also noticed his LED was yellow and he would've been more amused at that joke...if something wasn't wrong. You grew suspicious, but you said nothing about it, deciding to wait. 

"Yeah. I guess you have a point." You agreed instead. You both kept walking. You thought about what Connor said before. You got an idea. "Hey, Connor?"

"Yes?"

"I've...never met Markus. Can we go see them?" He smiled.

"You want to meet them?" He asked.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"I...didn't think you'd be comfortable around so many androids." He admitted. You sighed.

"If I'm going to let you live with me, then don't you think I should get used to androids? I'd have to get used to them now anyway." You told him. He nodded.

"Alright. If that's what you'd like." And just like that, Connor began to lead the way to New Jericho. 

You both looked around at the city on the way. You talked about some of the places you remembered you'd used to go. You spotted the old Sweet n' Meet shop your father used to take you to all the time. Connor noticed that you were looking at it. "Do you know that place too?"

"Yeah. My dad took me there all the time. I remember he'd always get me ice cream there. That place has hand made candies. It's one of the most prosperous businesses though. Everything there is made from scratch which is really hard these days. It's been a long time since I've been there. I wonder if it's still doing as well as it used to. Well...I mean...once everybody comes back, that is." Connor looked at you with a frown.

"They all did a lot for you, didn't they?" You looked up at him. You turned away with a sigh.

"Not everybody was as lucky as me when I was little." You explained. He looked at the shop for a moment before guiding you away.

"Come on. New Jericho isn't too far now." You nodded and kept going with him.

Soon enough, you both made it to New Jericho. You looked around. They were already working on refurbishing it. It was looking good if you were being honest. They were turning the church into a more homey place. They were keeping some of the church's aspects though. You could tell that much. 

"Connor!" You turned as you heard a girl's voice calling. 

(I really wanted to try a new cool hairstyle, so I focused more on that than anything else this time

(I really wanted to try a new cool hairstyle, so I focused more on that than anything else this time.)

"Hello, Neera." Connor greeted her.

"Nice to see you again! Did you find a place to stay?"

"Yes. I'm staying with my friend. Neera, this is (Y/n). She's human." Neera looked at you and smiled.

"Hi! Nice to meet you!" You smiled, relieved she didn't freak out as soon as Connor said 'human'. 

"Thanks. You too." You replied.

"She hasn't met any androids besides me so she asked if she could come and meet everyone," Connor explained.

"Great! Come on! Ryker and Star are working on clearing out the rooms so they should have a minute since that's basically finished by now." You followed after her with Connor beside you. You smiled a little at the fact that she was being so friendly. 

"I like your hair." She turned.

"Thanks! I like yours too!" She replied. You smiled. They really do seem nice. Connor is caring and nobody seems to be freaking out that I'm human. I just hope things won't fall apart for them once everyone comes back to the city.