Chapter 3: The Painting

Narrator's POV

On the flight back to New York, Lauren looked as usual, but as her best friend, Normani could see the disappointment in her eyes. Even though they enjoyed the year-end in London and Normani had a good New Year's Eve, Lauren did not have a good one.

Lauren could care less about the painter, but not the dancing girl. She was still thinking of her. She subtly looked sad and disappointed. Normani only saw her like this once when Lauren broke up with her one and only ex-girlfriend, Veronica, when they were in college. However, it was different. She was not even in a relationship with this dancing girl. They barely knew each other.

Normani thought it was good that the girl left Lauren. She could not imagine if Lauren fell for her deeper. Lauren would have a serious heartbroken if they could not be together. Therefore, it was not completely bad that she was left or rejected by this girl.

Lauren was a very charming and loving person. Most of the people loved her because of her sincerity and integrity. She seldom got a rejection, especially from the girls she was interested in. She got two or three rejections in the past, but it did not affect her like this. It seemed it hit her differently this time.

Normani did not want to conclude yet. She wanted to see if Lauren would forget her soon once she got back to her routine and busy with her job in New York. If Lauren still could not get her out of her mind by then, Normani would say Lauren had love at first sight.

Lauren and Normani had known each other for almost eleven years since they were fifteen. They went to the same school and college. They maintained their friendship until today. Normani was the only child. Lauren was also the only child, but she did not come from a well-off family as Normani did. Her life was different from Normani's life. The differences did not separate them but made them became best friends.

They knew each other very well including their love lives. Lauren only had one relationship in the past for four years, while Normani had more. She had three exes, two boys and one girl. They both were single and seeing no one at this moment.

.

Back in New York, Lauren's sadness did not get better. She got sadder as the owner of the company where she and Normani worked passed away. The sadness was not only for Lauren but also the company overall. The company was in an uncertain situation as they just lost their beloved leader. Lauren did not only worry about the company's future but also hers. She did not know if she could keep this job or she had to change it.

There were too many things going on at work. It was also good for Lauren as she slowly forgot about the dancing girl, but it did not last long. A day before valentine's day, Lauren received a package from Mr. Solomon – the painter she met in London. Since she was too busy, Lauren ignored the package and went to work.

In valentine's night, Lauren did not go out, as usual, she would go with Normani. Both of them were too busy especially Lauren with all the things going on in the company. It even crossed her mind to leave the company but she could not unless she got fired. She was tired of never-ending long days and uncertainty since she was back in New York.

Lauren was having her dinner, a Thai chicken noodle which she bought on the way home. Sitting in the living room of her two-bedroom apartment on the twenty-seventh floor of a building in the centre of New York, Lauren remembered the package she received yesterday. She decided to look at it once she finished her dinner.

After finished her dinner, Lauren went to take the package which was put just by the hallway of the entrance. She brought it to her living room and slowly opened it. The package was wrapped properly. Lauren loved arts. She appreciated Mr. Solomon's generosity even though she did not understand why he was so kind to her and put so much effort into it. They barely knew each other.