Chapter 38: The Same Reason

Camila's POV

I woke up early morning and the first thing that came to my mind was Lauren and what happened yesterday. I took my phone from the nightstand hoping that she would reply to my message, but she did not. I sighed in the early morning. I wanted to sleep another hour as it was still early, but I could not bring myself back to sleep. I hoped to see Lauren in the office today.

I recalled again what happened yesterday. Everything was good until uncle Javi showed up. I disliked him for showing up at the wrong time when Lauren and I had our first kiss. I hated him when he did that to Lauren, throwing her on the floor and kicking her like that. Even worst when he started to humiliate Lauren with his horrible words.

In general, Lauren loved harmony and peacefulness, she would do her best to be patient to avoid conflict. When uncle Javi threw her on the floor and kicked her on her stomach, she still did not want to fight back. I did not know how she got that patience, but I saw how she changed when I got pushed down by Javi. Lauren seemed not to like it and it made my heart ached, how she could still be so patient when someone hurt her but not when others were hurt, in this case, was me. I was glad Lauren did fight back. I wished Jason did not show up that fast so she could punch him more times. He deserved it

It was always been at the back of my mind, why my father mentioned uncle Coop and Lauren in his will, instead of Javier who the closest family we got that I knew. After yesterday's incident, I started to see it clearer now. He was such a horrible person. I never knew how bad he was as my father seldom talked about him. I was completely certain now that my decision to keep the Stone Group was right. He might have a hidden agenda. I should get more information about him from uncle Coop, Ally, and Jason. They seemed not to like him every time we mentioned Javier. There must be something I did not know about him that they knew.

His visit to Lauren's office that day was very suspicious. For the first time, I saw Lauren was strange and uncomfortable. How he scorned Lauren in my office made me think that he must have said something bad to her that day as well. She looked like she was stressed and in discomfort. It also made me think whether her strange behavior lately was related to Javier. She also returned the car just like that. I did not know the reason and we did not talk about it yet as we ended up kissing.

I arrived in the office and I did not see Lauren in her office. Ally told me that Lauren did not come and she asked for a day off. I told Ally to tell Lauren she could take her time. I could tell her myself, but I did not as she did not even reply to my message until now. She was physically hurt being kicked like that and her forehead was bleeding, but I was sure Javier's words hurt her more than his kick. Lauren was such a gentle and soft-spoken person, such harsh words might hurt her strongly. I did not mind at all if she would like to take a day off for the rest of the week as long as she would feel better.

.

It was late afternoon on Friday an hour before office hour ended. I was wondering if Lauren would come to my place for our Saturday session as she was also off today and did not reconfirm as she would do usually. I texted her

To Lauren: Hi, Lauren, Are you coming tomorrow?

.

Narrator's POV

Lauren didn't reply to Camila's message after an hour passed, but Ally did call her.

Camila: Yes, Ally?

Ally: Hi, Mila. Lauren handed over everything to me. She told me that she have submitted the resignation letter to you and HR. Have you received it?