Chapter 12: First-Name Basis

Narrator's POV

Lauren had gone beyond and above to help Camila. When Camila had questions and needed further information she could not find she would call or video call Lauren. Lauren was always available for her. Even on Wednesday, when she was out with Normani, Lauren stayed alert when Camila texted her. Normani noticed it and Lauren explained it to Normani.

Two weeks passed. The plan that Lauren suggested Camila worked well. Camila did not stay late anymore. She would leave after the learning session. Sofia was happy that she could spend more time with Camila. Camila almost gave up on the first three days. As she said she needed more time and Sofia did not follow it well. Lauren suggested Camila talk to Sofia again. Sofia cooperated well after Camila talked to her further. Since Camila thought it was not enough. She made use of Saturday morning for work and Lauren was there to help her. Lauren even offered that she could come to her place if necessary, and Camila accepted it. Lauren would leave after lunch and Sofia who just met Lauren was happy to meet her new friend.

It was Wednesday, Camila's birthday. Ally and Hailee were planning a small party for Camila in the office. Lauren did not get involved as she was sure that Ally and Hailee know best what to do. They arranged the birthday party at lunchtime. They had prepared foods, drinks, the cake, and flowers for Camila. The executive team and Mr. Cooper were also invited. It was a surprise. Lauren was asked to spend an hour before lunchtime with Camila that she would not find out when they were preparing everything in the kitchen.

It was quite easy to keep Camila in her office. Lauren could discuss many things with Camila and Camila seldom left her office unless she needed to talk to Lauren or Ally soon, she would just go out to find them instead of waiting for Hailee to ask them to come to her room.

.

It was the time, "Ms. Cabello, it's lunchtime. "

"Oh, yes. Thank you." Camila was checking her phone after they finished their discussion.

"Would you come with me, please?" Lauren asked.

Camila frowned, "yes?"

"I need to show you something." Lauren simply replied.

"Okay." Camila followed Lauren who was already walking out of the room.

Lauren kept walking past her office, Camila was not sure what Lauren wanted to show her. When they reached the team's kitchen, Camila was welcomed with a surprise and birthday song. Camila smiled and she was looking at everyone and everything.

"Happy birthday....Ms. C...." They ended the song.

.

"Thank you. Very kind of you. Thank you..." Camila said and each of them greeted her with either a handshake or warm hug. Lauren chose to shake hands with Camila. They celebrated Camila's birthday with laughter and joy. Everyone seemed to enjoy the little party, as well as Camila. Camila was not good at small talks, but as long as Lauren and Ally were there, they just knew how to make the conversation flow. Lauren was the one who paid attention to everyone. If she was in the room, no one would feel excluded.

.

Later that day, when Camila finished her learning session with Lauren, Lauren asked her, "any celebration at home, Ms. Cabello?"

"Not really, Mrs. Harris had prepared a cake this morning. So, we ate the cakes with Sofia." Camila told Lauren. "Probably, they will prepare some good dinner."

"That sounds nice."

"You want to come?" Camila asked Lauren.

"Thank you, Ms. Cabello, for the invitation, but I have an appointment with Normani."