Chapter 88: The Party & The Past

Camila's POV

People and the media congratulated me for successfully bringing Javier to court and sending him to prison, even hell. I was not proud of what I did as I ended someone's life, but I was content that we finally ended Javier's crimes. I would prefer considering it as justice to victory. He got what he deserved. I could have just sent Jason's team to kill him or kidnapped him and tortured him slowly until he died, but I did not want to. By doing so, I would be no different from him.

I did what I had to. Javier had murdered my parents and ruined Sofia and my life. He also had killed many people through drug and human trafficking. The death penalty was the right decision. I did not like violence, but I would not avoid it when someone deserved it. I did not have a heart of gold like my father despite his decision not to allow my mother to keep Lucy. I could understand why he made the decision. He was younger, less wise, and furious as he was hurt and betrayed. I might do something worse if I were him.

My father was a reputable kind-hearted businessman. I valued his kindness, but I disagreed when he chose to do nothing when he knew Javier endangered his life and finally killed him. I never fully understood that, and probably Lauren could understand what he did as both of them shared some personalities. Lauren was the only person I knew who had the gold of heart like my father regardless she cheated on me.

I appreciated Lauren's support on the trial of Javier. I was glad she did not hide anything during the trial. It was great. She should have told me all she knew and what happened when they happened. Things between us might be different now. I did not talk to her during the trial. The last time we talked to each other was when we were at Mr. Solomon's house. I knew we would eventually meet and talk to each other. I did not mind talking to regardless we were not together anymore. Lauren had helped me a lot anyhow. I did not hold any grudge toward her.

Lauren's POV

It had been a crazy five weeks. The truth was revealed. Javier was the biggest, meanest criminal I ever knew in person in my life. I was agitated when I heard that he planned the plane crash and killed Mr. and Mrs. Cabello. Javier was also the one who tried to kill Mr. Cabello, which ended up me getting shots. I was glad that he finally got what he deserved for what he had done.

Camila looked poised most of the time during the trial. In such a short time, she had improved a lot. Camila looked calm and confident. She did not smile a lot, but she would once in a while. It was good to see her little smile, but it was also not good as the one who made her smile was not me, but Harry, Dinah, or Timothée.

Camila had been working on this case since last year. I did not see it coming. She never told me, but I understood. Everything related to Jason and the team was confidential. Jason had told her about Javier's threat to me. He did not keep his promise, but I knew why he could not. It was needed to investigate the case further anyway. I should have told Camila about it. She was absolutely not happy that I hid things from her again. I hoped she would understand. I knew how she disagreed with my way and hated that I always hid things from her.

It was late afternoon on Friday. The party would start in less than three hours. I was sitting here in Camila's apartment feeling a little bit anxious. First time in my life, I felt nervous about going to a party. It might be because I expected that Camila would talk to me again, but on the other hand, I did not know how it would be. She did not talk to me during the trial weeks. She saw me, looked at me, but she never smiled or talked to me, not even her subtle little smile that I used to love that would make me happy.

Narrator's POV

The guests had arrived at Camila's mansion for a small party of fewer than thirty people. Lauren and Normani had also arrived at the Cabello Mansion fifteen minutes before the party started. She was greeted by everyone who knew her, such as Jason, Peter, Alice, Paul, and Mr. and Mrs. Harris. Harry and Timothée were also present. They saw and nodded at Lauren, but they did not talk to her.