Chapter 67

Nineteen years ago, September.

Eleven-year-old Bai Luorui was wearing a small white dress and lying on the windowsill, she looked out from the window of the nursing home. From this angle of hers, a small patch of green in the grass can be seen.

The old people ate their supper early. Now that it was almost dusk, the sky just showed the color of the sunset. They all finished their meal and walked from the cafeteria outside to the sleeping place in twos and threes.

Most of the old people were deaf, and they spoke loudly, making the yard noisy. In front of Bai Luorui was a soundproof glass window, through which she could still hear some intermittent voices.

The scenery outside the window was monotonous and uninteresting, but Bai Luo Rui looked very focused, very quiet, and motionless.

Grandpa went to the cafeteria to return the plate. He will take this opportunity to take a breath, chat with other old people, stay for a while and come back. Grandma has already been lying in bed early, she has simply washed, and she does not need to take care of her anymore. . In every day, only this time is Bai Luo Rui's own.

Grandpa always said that their family was lucky enough. When grandpa and grandma came to live in the nursing home together, there were just two vacant beds, so grandfather and grandma shared a room. Later, because her parents divorced, she also lived in. Slept in the same bed with grandma.

Bai Luorui seemed to have heard her mother talk to her grandfather before, that her grandmother had a very serious illness, like lung cancer or something. She was lying at home and waiting to die, even in the hospital. There are more old people here, who can bask in the sun and chat. Maybe grandma's health will be better.

Grandpa always insisted on taking care of grandma by himself, and did not let people send grandma to the intensive care unit.

However, my grandmother's body didn't get better, instead it was getting worse every day. Sometimes she would have a fever at night, and it was hot against Bai Luorui's body, covered with sticky sweat. When she felt so bad, she would hum. Sometimes when it bothers other people, a doctor will come and give her an injection. But Bai Luorui knew that those drugs couldn't save her at all. At most, they could delay her condition and let her live longer in pain.

Now, Bai Luorui could hear grandma's breathing. Grandma should be trying to fall asleep, but her breathing seemed to be pulling a bellows, making a heavy whirring sound. The air in the room became filthy along with it, and there was a strange smell, the smell of disease and old age. Fortunately, she was already familiar with all this.

Man, why do you get old? And why would he die?

Bai Luorui pondered this question and became fascinated.

There was a bright whistle from the door, and it was a secret signal between Wei Hong and her. Bai Luorui's eyes moved and retracted. Although it was almost dusk, it was bright outside the window. The room was dark, the lights were not turned on, and the curtains were drawn to block all the sunlight. No way, grandma doesn't like sunlight, so the curtains are drawn all the year round. There is only a small piece of the window, you can feel a bit of light.

Bai Luorui adjusted to the darkness in the room before walking out. She heard her grandmother's coughing sound from behind, she had been awake all the time: "Stop interacting with that kid surnamed Wei, you learn from the kid who comes here often. , I don't forget to study hard every day here..."

In this yard, Wei Hong is a stinky boy who is tossing around. He has poor grades and skips classes in school. The child who is often brought over is an outlier. Bai Luorui doesn't know whose child he is, only that he appears occasionally. in a nursing home.