3

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 03. Kisses in the Stables

          Several hours later, it seemed that Annalys had finally calmed down

Several hours later, it seemed that Annalys had finally calmed down. She made her way to the stables, which she presumed to be empty. She was in need of her riding one of the horses through the woods. She knew it would clear her mind. She ended up entering the stables as Bran walked past her with his dire wolf.

She turned her head, only to see Jon standing in the stables alongside his own direwolf. She glanced around, finding no one else in sight, "My lady." He greeted Annalys, bowing.

"Jon." She greeted the boy before deciding to bring up the question she was dying to ask since seeing both him and Bran with their Direwolves, "Do all you Starks have direwolves?"

"Yes," Jon responded, nodding his head in response.

"What's his name?" Annalys' asked curiously, a smile on her face as she stared down at the direwolf standing at Jon's side as she walked closer to them.

"Ghost." He responded, smiling as well as Annalys knelt down next to Ghost.

Before he could warn her, Annalys knelt in front of Ghost and petted him. Jon was surprised to see that Annalys showed no fear as she petted the direwolf. Most would, but she didn't.

  Annalys' smile became even brighter as she stood back up, meeting Jon at eye-view, "The name fits him," she remarked, "I dare say he enjoys my company more than you do."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Jon questioned Annalys, a confused look on his face as he furrowed his eyebrows.

"You only speak to me when we are alone," Annalys pointed out, looking disappointed, "If people are around, you look at just about anything, as long as it isn't me."

Annalys took a step closer to Jon, their faces just inches apart, "Why is that?" She asked in a calm tone.

Jon nervously gulped. He wanted nothing more than to look away, knowing if he didn't, he wouldn't be able to control the urge he had to kiss her. Knowing that if he didn't, it would upset her, Jon finally looked Annalys in the eye. The princess stared at him with a straight expression, a hint of curiosity in her brown eyes.

"Because you need to stay away from me." Jon replied quietly, his voices husky.

"And why is that, Jon Snow?" She questioned him in a mocking tone.

She already knew what Jon was going to say. It was expected. She just wanted him to say it. It would show her if he was as courageous as she believed him to be.

"You're a princess. I'm a bastard." He reminded her and Annalys immediately had an expression on her face that told Jon she couldn't care less.

"And?" Annalys questioned, shrugging her shoulders, "I enjoy your company more than anyone else's. You treat me like a normal person, not a princess that needs to be protected at all costs. I like that," She paused, her voice becoming quietly, "Believe it or not, I like you."