42

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 42. Declaration of Love

  On the North side of the Wall, Annalys and Jon led the Wildlings to the gates

  On the North side of the Wall, Annalys and Jon led the Wildlings to the gates. Tormund stood close by them alongside Edd. Annalys also had Karsi's children, Willa and Johnna, at her side, not wanting to lose after she assured their mother that she would make sure they were safe. She didn't promise, but that didn't she wasn't going to keep her word.

  She had only known Karsi for that day, but it was under all that tough exterior, Karsi was a good woman, who loved her two daughters more than anything.

When they reached the gates, Tormund raised his hand, telling the Wildlings to stop where they stood. Tormund and Annalys exchanged a look, looking down at the two children before looking upwards at the top of the wall.

  Annalys stared up at the top of the wall to see Alliser Thorne there. She couldn't help but glare, knowing she would be pissed if the man decided to not let them through. Alliser continued to stare down at them for a long moment, clearly debating on whether or not he should let them in.

Jon turned to Annalys, the two of them exchanging a nervous look. Finally, Jon took a few steps forward, away from the large group of Wildlings. She continued to stare up at Alliser, giving him an almost pleading look. Annalys watched as Alliser turned on his heel, walking away from the edge of the wall.

Just then, the gate to the wall began to open, much to Annalys' shock. Annalys shut her eyes for a moment, sighing in utter relief. With that, Annalys began to walk forward, she and Jon leading the Wildings through the gates and into Castle Black.

As they continued to walk through, Jon, Edd, and Annalys walked over to Sam to speak to him, "It was a failure," Jon ended up saying, clearly upset that he didn't get to save everyone.

"It wasn't," Sam argued, disagreeing with Jon.

"I went to save them. I failed," Jon continued to complain, causing Annalys to sigh in defeat.

She knew in some ways he was right, but she found herself thinking of the fact that at least they had saved some of the Wildlings. It was better than saving none of them.

"You didn't fail him," Sam responded, pointing toward a random Wildling, "Or him. Or her. Every one of them is alive because of you and Annalys, no one else."

"I don't think that fact's lost of them," Jon remarked, looking toward something else.

Annalys turned her head, only to see a group of Brothers of the Night's Watch glaring at them. She continued to look around, seeing many men all around glaring at them.

She knew that look. It was a look full of hatred. The same look that told Annalys they wanted her and Jon did. More specifically, Jon.

Annalys sighed, deciding to pay attention to something else that wasn't the hateful glares she and Jon were receiving. She turned her head, noticing how many men looked absolutely stunned when Wun-Wun entered. She found herself smiling in amusement.