51

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 51. A Proud Father

 In the courtyard of the Deepwood Motte, Jon, Annalys, Sansa, and Ser Davos were meeting with Robett Glover, many men serving him standing nearby, "The answer is no

In the courtyard of the Deepwood Motte, Jon, Annalys, Sansa, and Ser Davos were meeting with Robett Glover, many men serving him standing nearby, "The answer is no." Robett told the group after hearing they wanted some of his men and his allegiance.

"Lord Glover, if you could just hear us out," Jon responded, beginning to speak in a pleading tone.

"I've heard enough," Robett snapped at him in a cold tone, "We've only just taken back this castle from the Ironborn. The Boltons helped us do it. Now you want me to fight against them? I could be skinned for even talking to you."

"The Boltons are traitors," Jon tried to remind Lord Glover, "Roose Bolton--"

"Have other northern houses pledged to fight for you?" Robbett questioned, raising a skeptical brow at Jon.

"House Mormont," Jon replied in a calm tone and Robett immediately gave him a questioning look.

"And?" Robett asked, clearly thinking there to be more.

"We sent raven to Houses Manderly---" Jon began to tell him, only to have Robett cut him off.

"I don't care about ravens," Robett interrupted him once more, "You're asking me to join your army. Who is fighting in this army?"

"The bulk of the force is made up of wildlings," Jon stated, causing Annalys to sigh in defeat.

He shouldn't have said it so quickly in the conversation, even Annalys knew that. Now, they were definitely not going to get the men they needed.

Hearing Jon's revelation, Robett began to loudly laugh, "Then the rumors are true. I didn't dare believe them. I received you out of respect for your father and her husband," He paused, gesturing his hand toward Annalys, "Now, I would like you to leave. House Glover will not abandon its ancestral home to fight alongside wildlings."

Robett immediately turned around and started to head up the stairs toward a door attended by his men, "Lord Glover." Jon called out, but Robett still refused to turn back around.

"There's nothing else to say." Robett snapped at Jon, about to enter his castle.

Annalys shut her eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath. She opened her eyes once more, looking directly at Lord Glover, practically glaring at him, "You would do well to remember that House Glover is pledged to House Stark, My Lord," She finally spoke up in a cold, stern tone, "Sworn to answer when called upon. Or has it been that long?"

Jon turned his head to look at Annalys, almost glaring at her for saying such a thing to the man they were trying to get help from. Sansa watched Annalys closely, having a feeling that Annalys' tactic had a better chance at working than Jon's. After hearing Annalys' words, Robett turned on his heel and walked closer to the woman, "Yes, my family served House Stark for centuries. We wept when we heard of Ned Stark's death. When my brother was lord of this castle, he answered your husband's call and hailed you both King and Queen in the North." He explained with an attitude, moving closer to Annalys' their faces almost touching as he spoke to her in a venomous tone, "And where were you both when the Ironborn attacked this castle? When they threw my wife and children in prison and brutalized and killed our subjects? Ah, yes, taking it up with each other and earning numerous enemies because of your marriage. Getting him and his men killed in the process while you went back to King's Landing as if nothing happened," He explained to her coldly, "Even after your husband's death, we waited for your return. We believed that you could save us from what happened. You carried the Stark name, even if it was only by marriage. Three years we waited and you still hadn't returned. After that, most of us lost hope. We finally realized that there was no saving us from the Boltons."