73

LION AMONG WOLVES
—73. The Life We Could've Had

In the courtyard of Winterfell, Annalys stood beside her son, Eddard

In the courtyard of Winterfell, Annalys stood beside her son, Eddard. She held a bow in her hand, pointing toward the target she had created before she and Eddard were due to practice archery.

"Now that your arrow is nocked and your bow hand is grasping it correctly, you're ready to draw the bowstring back," Annalys explained to Eddard, who watched her closely.

"I don't think I can do it, Mama," Little Eddard complained, a doubtful look on his face as he noticed his mother's perfect stance while preparing to release her arrow.

"What are you talking about, Eddard?" Annalys questioned her son, a small smile on her face, "Of course, you can! You can do this. I will help you, even if it takes months for you to finally hit the target. Now, look at me," She instructed, Eddard slowly looking up at her, "Keep your eyes on the target. Take a deep breath and then...Release."

Eddard turned his head, only to find that his mother had gotten a bullseye, "Come on, Eddard. It's your turn," Annalys told her son, who smiled, scurrying over to where Annalys stood.

  Eddard gripped onto the small bow in his hand, looking up as his mother. He no longer looked happy, only doubtful, "I could never be as good as you, Mother. Father says you taught him when you were children, but he could never be as good as you. He says you're the best in Westeros." He explained, slowly looking down at the ground, disappointed.

"Why must you doubt yourself?" Annalys complained, placing her bow down before she placed her hands on her son's shoulders, "If you put your mind to getting that target, you can be as good as me, if not better. Archery is not a difficult thing, no matter what people in this world say. The art of archery can be learned quickly if you are determined and do not doubt yourself. If you continue to try, sooner or later, you will master it." She explained, a smile beginning to form on her lips, "Okay, Eddard. You must try it yourself now. I will stand right beside you and guide you."

  Eddard lifted his bow, looking directly at the target in front of him. He notched the arrow, causing Annalys to smile, "Good, good. Now, pull the bowstring back," She instructed and Eddard immediately obeyed, "Now take a deep breath and..." She trailed off, becoming quieter, "Release."

  Eddard and Annalys looked ahead, finding that Eddard had gotten a bullseye. Eddard loudly gasped, turning to her mother with wide eyes, "I did it!" He exclaimed, smiling happily, "Did you see that, Mother?"

"I did," Annalys responded, a large, proud smile on her face, "I never doubted you. I knew the moment you stopped doubting yourself you would hit the target. I couldn't be more proud of her. At your age, I would've never been able to make it."

"I can't wait to tell Lyanna!" Eddard exclaimed, continuing to smile, "She's always teasing me about being better with a sword, now I can be better than her at archery!"