100

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 100. Duty is the Death of Love

  Annalys continued to stare at Daenerys, waiting for her queen to answer with tears welled in her eyes

  Annalys continued to stare at Daenerys, waiting for her queen to answer with tears welled in her eyes. She prayed to the Gods in her mind. She prayed that Daenerys would choose the right answer. The smallest amount of hope left in Annalys would leave if Daenerys said no, she already knew.

"I can't," Daenerys suddenly said, causing Annalys to sigh in defeat as a tear fell down her cheek.

"You can. You can forgive him," Annalys argued with Daenerys, more tears beginning to spill as she nodded her head pleadingly, "You can forgive all of them. You can make them see they made a mistake. Make them understand."

Annalys moved closer to Daenerys, a pleading look on her face. Tears continued to fall down her cheeks as she grabbed Daenerys' hands, holding them in her own, "Please, Daenerys," She pleaded with her, beginning to cry as her tone became soft and fragile, "I don't beg for much, but I'm begging you. Please."

"We can't hide behind small mercies, Annalys," Daenerys responded, disregarding Annalys' crying as she became so blinded by her envisioned dream of what she wanted the world to be, "I thought you understood that since the moment you told me to let the soldiers at Casterly Rock burn if they didn't bow down to me, just days after we first met. The new world we need to have won't be built by men loyal to the world we have now."

"The world we need is a world of mercy. It has to be," Annalys argued, allowing herself to stop crying as she let go of the woman's hands, "It wouldn't be right any other way, don't you understand that?"

Daenerys moved closer to Annalys, who had backed up. The silver-haired girl looked up at Annalys, a hopeful and bright look on her face as she smiled, "Yes, I do. And it will be," She began to explain to Annalys, "It's not easy to see something that's never been before. A good world."

Annalys looked down at Daenerys, finally, after so long, losing all the hope she once had in her. Daenerys was too far gone for any saving, Annalys realized that at that very moment. She was too tangled up in her vision that she wouldn't be able to see anything else, no matter how much Annalys tried. Daenerys smiled up at Annalys, wiping the tears from the woman's eyes.

"How do you know?" Annalys found herself asking Daenerys, wanting to know what made her believe so much in a dream she only thought of just days before, "How do you know it'll be good?"

"Because I know what is good," Daenerys replied confidently, "And so do you."

Annalys remained silent, shaking her head. She knew she must have been wrong about even herself. She once thought of herself as good, only to be proven wrong the day she killed her cousin in battle during the War of the Five Kings. That day, she realized what she truly was. A monster, who hid behind her supposedly 'good' intentions. In a way, even as Daenerys went mad, Annalys was a bit like her. But unlike Daenerys, she still had her sanity.