15

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 15. Harrenhal

 Near Harrenhal, horses trotted as Robb's army traveled through the South

Near Harrenhal, horses trotted as Robb's army traveled through the South. Robb and Annalys rode their horses beside each other, along with Roose Bolton, at the front of the army, "We should set the siege lines 1,000 yards from Harrenhal." Roose suggested and Annalys was quick to argue.

"There will not be a siege, my lord," Annalys spoke up, causing Roose and Robb to turn to her, "The Mountain cannot defend a ruin, trust me. I've seen him in action."

"I imagine the Mountain will defend whatever Tywin Lannister tells him to defend, Your Grace." Roose reminded Annalys, who turned away from him, looking directly at Harrenhal as Robb spoke up.

"The Lannisters have been running from us since Oxcross. I'd love a fight. Annalys would love a fight. The men would love a fight," Robb explained to Roose, "I don't think we're going to get one."

On his horse, Robb immediately trotted toward Harrenhal, Annalys and the rest of the army following soon after.

Later on, Robb and Annalys' forces arrived at Harrenhal. She walked past a body, which was strung up with a noose around his torso instead of his neck. She and Robb looked around, finding the courtyard of Harrenhall littered with bodies. Flies buzzed noisily among the corpses, causing a disgusted look to grow on Annalys' face.

Soon after the king and queen entered, Roose Bolton and Lord Karstark entered, both of them looking just as distraught and horrified by the bodies as Annalys and Robb were, "Two hundred Northmen slaughtered like sheep." Lord Karstark stated, venom laced in his tone.

"The debt will be repaid, my friend," Roose told Karstark, not looking directly at him as he spoke to him, "For them and for your sons."

"Will it?" Karstark asked, turning to Roose with an expression on his face that said he didn't believe him, "They rot in the ground while their killer runs free."

"The Kingslayer won't remain free for long. My best hunters are after him," Roose informed Karstark in a calm tone.

Annalys, who was listening to their conversation as she walked around with Robb, froze in her spot, quickly glancing over at the two men, who continued to speak amongst themselves about wanting her father dead.

The whole time, she had to act like she didn't care, but in honesty, she did. She didn't want Jaime dead. She might have been angry with him the past year and threatened to kill him, but she would never actually do it. She loved him. He was her father. He was the one who taught her everything she knew about fighting in a war and being a great swordsman.

Oddly enough, as she grew up he was the one who inspired her, despite everyone calling him Kingslayer.

Annalys felt stuck at that moment. Stuck between allowing these men to kill her father and ruining the whole life she made for herself.