76

LION AMONG WOLVES
—76. A Deal is a Deal

   Once making it to the Red Keep, Annalys was led by the Mountain to the chambers Cersei resided in

Once making it to the Red Keep, Annalys was led by the Mountain to the chambers Cersei resided in. Annalys glanced up at the Mountain briefly, just she looked ahead of her once more. She was nervous, to say the least, but she made sure not not show the people around her.

They turned the corner and Annalys found Jaime standing before, causing her to sigh in relief. At least there was someone there who didn't want her dead. The Mountain walked past them, leaving Annalys and Jaime alone.

It was silent for a long moment, just before Annalys spoke up, "You talked to her?" Annalys asked Jaime curiously.

"It was mostly a one-sided conversation on my part, until she kicked me out," Jaime informed Annalys, who smiled slightly and shook her head.

"I see nothing has changed," She commented quietly.

"A lot has changed, actually," Jaime argued with her calmly, "Especially you."

"Jaime, I--" Annalys began to speak to her, only to have the man cut her off.

"She thinks I was an idiot to allow myself to be manipulated by you once again," Jaime explained to Annalys, who tried her hardest to smile in amusement at his comment, "A lot of people seem to think that, actually."

"I didn't manipulate you," Annalys complained, only to sigh in defeat, "This time, at least."

Jaime's eyes widened slightly, shocked by Annalys basically confessing that she had manipulated him before, "Like mother, like daughter, I see," He muttered under his breath, rolling his eyes in annoyance, "Perhaps I am an idiot."

"I'm about to step into a room with a woman who's hellbent on keeping me here while I plan on leaving the second the conversation is over," Annalys explained to Jaime with a soft smile on her face, "Who's the idiot now?"

"I suppose we should say goodbye, then, one idiot to another," Jaime replied, causing Annalys to smile and shake her head.

"We've said goodbye numerous times over the years, believing it to be our last one. But it never has been, Jaime," Annalys explained to the man in a calm tone, "This time, I don't think there's a need for one. There are two ways this may go. Either I'm forced to stay here or I'm allowed to leave, which is highly unlikely. Either way, we'll get our goodbye after the conversation is over."

Jaime smiled slightly, nodding his head in understanding. He moved out of the way, which allowed Annalys to walk toward Cersei's chambers, "Pray for me," She jokingly commented as she walked past Jaime, causing the man to quietly chuckle.

"You're going to need a lot more than praying to survive a conversation with her," Jaime muttered under his breath, but Annalys, of course, heard him.