81

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 81. Know Thy Enemy

   Since it was necessary to do so, Annalys alerted Daenerys and everyone else of Jaime's arrival

Since it was necessary to do so, Annalys alerted Daenerys and everyone else of Jaime's arrival. Annalys sat alongside Daenerys with Jaime standing before them, none of them knowing how the Dragon Queen would react to her father's killer being there.

"When I was a child, my brother would tell me a bedtime story," Daenerys began to tell Jaime and the rest of the people in the Great Hall, causing Annalys to tense in her seat, "About the man who murdered our father. Who stabbed him in the back and cut his throat. Who sat down on the Iron Throne and watched as his blood poured onto the floor. He told me other stories as well. About all the things we would do to that man, once we took back the Seven Kingdoms and had him in our grasp."

Annalys opened her mouth to speak. She wanted to defend Jaime against Daenerys. She knew that what everyone thought of Jaime wasn't the truth. She hated having to sit back and watch as people degraded him for his supposed "Oathbreaking" ways. She had listened to it her entire life, despite knowing the truth behind the story of the Mad King.

Jaime turned to look at Annalys, giving her a warning look. It was the look that told her he wanted her to remain quiet and not stick up for him, which was the hardest thing Annalys had been asked to do in weeks. Well, except for the fact that Jon was secretly a Targaryen.

Daenerys glanced between Jaime and Annalys, clearly realizing she was missing something but decided against asking what it was with everyone having their eyes on, "Your sister pledged to send her army North," She continued on, changing the subject to Cersei.

"She did," Jaime responded in confirmation.

"I don't see an army," Daenerys replied with an attitude, glaring at Jaime, "I see one man, with one hand. It appears your sister lied to me."

Annalys turned her head away from looking at Daenerys, directly at Jaime instead, "She lied to me as well," Jaime admitted, looking down at the ground, ashamed, "She never had any intention of sending her army north. She has Euron Greyjoy's fleet and twenty-thousand fresh troops. The Golden Company from Essos, bought and paid for. Even if we defeat the dead, she'll have more than enough to destroy the survivors."

"'We?'" Daenerys questioned Jaime, looking almost amused.

"I promised to fight for the living," Jaime reminded Daenerys in a calm tone, "I intend to keep that promise."

"Your Grace, I know my brother--" Tyrion began to say, taking a step forward.

"Like you knew your sister?" Daenerys interjected coldly as she turned to look at her Hand.

Tyrion looked down at the ground, clearly ashamed that it was partly his fault that Cersei hadn't sent her armies up North. Annalys sighed, suddenly standing up from her seat. The entire group turned to her, almost worried to know what she was going to say. They all presumed she was going to defend Daenerys, but she ended up doing the opposite.