36

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 36. The Last Lannister

   At the wall, Annalys stood in a room with Jon, ready to be scolded by Stannis, who stood in front of them

  "I ordered Mance Rayder burnt at the stake. You prevented that order from being carried out, Annalys," Stannis scolded Annalys in a stern tone, yet the girl didn't even seem to be listening, "You showed mercy to Mance Rayder. A king's word is law. Perhaps you should ask Ser Davos how much mercy I show to lawbreakers. Show too much kindness, people won't fear you. If people don't fear you, they don't follow you. You were a queen once, you should know that."

  "Pardon me, Your Grace, but the free folk will never follow you, no matter what you do. They're called Free Folk for a reason," Annalys responded, trying her best to sound polite, which was hard, "You're the man who burned their king alive. Do you truly expect them to follow you after what you did?"

"Who, then? You?" He questioned with an attitude and after she shook her head, he looked toward Jon, "You?"

"No," Jon replied, shaking his head as well, "Only one of their own."

"Do you know this wretched girl Lyanna Mormont?" Stannis asked and both Jon and Annalys seemed to recognize the name, for different reasons, of course.

Annalys tried her hardest not to smile, recognizing the girl's name. Her mother had fought in her and Robb's army just two years before. She was a great warrior without a doubt, she was glad that her daughter was the one ruling Bear Island. If she was anything like her mother, she was beyond brave and more fierce than anyone around her. They needed more women like that in Westeros. Or people, in general.

"The Lord Commander's niece," Jon responded, recognizing the name.

"Lady of Bear Island, and a child of ten. I asked her to commit her house to my cause, that's her response." Stannis informed them, handing Jon a piece of paper.

Annalys moved closer to Jon, standing beside them as they both read the letter, "Bear Island knows no ruler but the King and Queen in the North, whose name is Stark." Jon read aloud and Annalys found herself smiling, proud of the young girl. She hoped to one day meet her. She felt it to be an honor, oddly enough.

Stannis raised a brow at Annalys, causing her to stop smiling, "That amuses you, Annalys?" He questioned the woman, practically glaring at her.

"My apologies, Your Grace," Annalys quickly replied, giving the man an apologetic look, "Northerners can be a bit like the free folk. They're loyal to their own without a doubt. It took years for them to truly trust me and accept me as one of their own."

  "I know. My brother Robert went on often and loudly about how difficult it was to control them," He paused, noticing the odd look on Annalys' face when he didn't mention Robb as her father before looking directly at Jon, "Even with your father's help."