49

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 49. Departure

The following day, Annalys sat with Edd, Tormund, Jon, Sansa, Brienne, and Podrick at a table in the dining hall

The following day, Annalys sat with Edd, Tormund, Jon, Sansa, Brienne, and Podrick at a table in the dining hall. Sansa slowly lifted up the piece of food on her fork that didn't even look like food. She eyed it closely and Brienne turned to look at her, smiling slightly in amusement.

Noticing her do so, Annalys quietly laughed before she continuing to eat as if it were nothing. It took her a while to get used to the food, but she did. She had to remember, disgusting food was better than no food at all.

Edd leaned over the table to take another piece of stale bread from the plate in the middle before he sat back down. Sansa glanced between the men and Annalys, noticing how they ate the food so easily.

Both Brienne and Sansa continued to sit in silence, not eating their food. Noticing eyes on her, Brienne slowly turned her head to see Tormund staring at her as he ate his food. Annalys, who was sitting between Jon and Tormund, noticed it as well, causing her to quietly laugh.

Brienne slowly looked over at her, giving her a scolding look. She quickly stopped laughing, covering her mouth before she could do it anymore.

Annalys glanced around at the group, feeling uncomfortable with the silence, "Sorry about the food," Edd awkwardly spoke up, wanting to break the silence, "It's not what we're known for."

"It took me an entire year to get used to the food," Annalys spoke up, a small, reassuring smile on her face.

"That's all right," Sansa assured Annalys and Edd, smiling softly, "There are more important things."

Just then, the door opened, causing Annalys to turn her head to see a Night's Watch brother to enter with a letter. He walked over to Jon, handing it to the man, "A letter for you, Lord Commander," He told Jon, who simply look up at the man.

"I'm not the Lord Commander anymore," Jon responded calmly before slowly taking the rolled up letter.

Annalys looked over Jon's shoulder and down the seal on the letter, only to notice the flayed men. The Boltons.

He removed the seal, avoiding eye contact with the group, even Annalys, who looked directly at him. Noticing the looks on both of their faces, Sansa gave Jon and Annalys a confused look, knowing that whatever the letter was, it couldn't have been good.

Soon enough, the entire group looked toward Jon, impatiently waiting for him to read the now-opened letter, "To the traitor and bastard, Jon Snow. You allowed thousands of wildlings past the Wall. You betrayed your own kind. You betrayed the North. Winterfell is mine, bastard. Come and see," He paused, clearly taken aback by he had read next, "Your brother Rickon is in my dungeon."

Hearing Jon's word, both Annalys and Sansa' eyes widened, the two of them tensing up as they exchanged an alarmed look. Jon slowly turned to both of them, his eyes wide in concern.