97

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 97. It All Fell Down

   In the Red Keep, Cersei stood in the courtyard of the crumbling castle

   In the Red Keep, Cersei stood in the courtyard of the crumbling castle. She knew, at any moment, the place she found to call home would fall and her with it. She began to lose hope, realizing that that was the end for her. For her and her unborn child.

As she began to think of all the mistakes she had made to lead her into the position she was in at that moment, she began to cry. She started to think of her daughter, a small gasp escaping her lips at the thought of leaving her daughter alone in the world. Alone with a tyrant that was just as bad as her mother. She began to realize that perhaps it was her fault.

Annalys fell in love with a woman who became exactly like her mother. Who else was to blame for that, if not Cersei?

Annalys was exactly like Jaime and Jaime had fallen in love with a heartless tyrant of a woman, now Annalys had done the same by falling for Daenerys. History was repeating itself.

Cersei looked up, hearing Drogon roaring just above the castle. She turned in a circular motion, more and more ashes and bricks beginning to fall around her. She clutched the rolled up piece of paper in her hand, beginning to tear up as she realized that she would never get it to send it. It was the end for her.

After everything, it was now the end for Cersei Lannister and all she could think about was her daughter, believe it or not.

She heard someone coughing behind her, causing her to turn around to find Jaime standing before. She hoped it to be Annalys, but of course, it was highly unlikely for her daughter to show up. Why should she? After everything Cersei did.

Jaime stood there, leaning against a pillar, beaten and bloody. It wasn't who Cersei wanted to see in her last moment, but it was the next best thing. The father of her children. The one Annalys grew to be so much like in the oddest ways.

She gasped softly, slowly approaching the father of her children. At that moment, it was as if nothing else mattered. Only that he was there. That she wasn't alone. But not for the reasons that Jaime presumed.

Cersei began to sob loudly, not being to control herself any longer. Jaime limped toward her, just before hugging her tightly. Jaime panted for breath, shutting his eyes as he began to think of Annalys as well. Jaime most likely didn't make it in time. Jaime was going to die with Cersei. They were both leaving their daughter alone in the world and it was all either of them could think about.

The roof crumbled above them but they continued to hug each other, knowing it would be one of their last moments together. Jaime pulled away after a moment, cupping Cersei's face in his hands as she continued to sob, "You're hurt," Cersei stated, realizing that he was wounded as her hand touched the wound on his stomach.

"It doesn't matter," Jaime responded, shaking his head as Cersei removed her hand from his torso to see it now covered in blood.

"You're bleeding," Cersei continued, slowly looking up at Jaime as tears streamed down her cheeks, "Where is she? Where is our daughter? Is she safe?"