12

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 12. Talisa

 At the Lannister Camp, hearing something, the first guard, grabbed his sword as Greywind leaped from the darkness and attacked Rennick, one of the guards

In the dark, Annalys and Robb sat side by side on their horses, listening alongside their lords as a pack of wolves descended upon the Lannister men, "King and Queen in the North!" One of the men shouted, causing Annalys and Robb to share a glance, clearly not expecting them to call Annalys queen.

"The King and Queen in the North!" Another man shouted.

The following morning, the northern army had completed their attack on the encampment, leaving bodies and wounded men scattered around. Horses neighed and soldiers cried out in pain.

Annalys, Robb, and Roose walked through the aftermath, followed by a handful of northern soldiers, "Five Lannisters dead for every one of ours. They're dead," Roose informed the duo, "Take everything they've got. We've nowhere to keep all these prisoners. Barely enough food to feed our own."

"We're not executing prisoners, Lord Bolton," Annalys argued in a stern tone.

"Of course, Your Grace," He responded, causing Annalys to look a bit taken aback by the formal addressing he had given her, "The officers will be useful. Some of them may be privy to Tywin Lannister's plans."

"I doubt it," Robb muttered quietly.

"Well, we'll learn soon enough. In my family, we say, 'A naked man has few secrets'. 'A flayed man none.'" Roose pointed out to them, causing a disgusted look to form on Annalys' face at thought of flaying a man.

"My father outlawed flaying in the North," Robb reminded Roose in a stern tone.

"We're not in the North." Roose retorted, causing Annalys to sigh.

"We're not torturing them," Robb argued sternly.

"The high road's very pretty, but you'll have a hard time marching your army down it." Roose continued on.

"The Lannisters hold prisoners of their own. I won't give them an excuse to abuse my sisters," Robb argued back.

"No, don't! Don't! Please!" Annalys heard a man scream, causing Annalys to turn her attention toward where a woman was tending to the injured men.

"Shh," The woman said in a hushed tone.

A man struggled as she removed his tattered pants and tried to tend his bloody legs while another woman tried her best to help, "The rot's set in." She informed the man in a content tone.

"No, don't! No, don't!" The man cried out in a pleading tone.

"Shh." She told him once more.

"Please, don't!" He pleaded with her, "It'll get better. It doesn't even hurt."

"The rot will spread. If we don't take the foot now--" She began to say, only to have the wounded soldier cut her off.