37

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 37. A Warrior's Heart

  Weeks later, in the dining hall at Castle Black, Jon sat at the front table with Annalys

  Weeks later, in the dining hall at Castle Black, Jon sat at the front table with Annalys. He was tapping his fingers anxiously, much to Annalys' annoyance as the other men in the room talked amongst themselves. Two other men sat beside them, but Annalys did not know their names.

"Sam," Jon called out, causing Sam to look up as Jon looked over at Maester Aemon's chair, which was empty, "Maester Aemon?"

"He apologizes for not being here. He's not feeling well." Sam informed Jon, causing Annalys to become a bit concerned.

"Take good care of him," Jon responded before turning toward the rest of the men in the front, "Brothers."

Hearing Jon call out to them, the men of the Night's Watch immediately stopped talking amongst themselves, turning their attention to their Lord Commander instead, "As you all know too well, it's long past time to dig a new latrine pit," He announced, causing men to laugh while Jon looked over at Alliser, "First Builder Yarwyck and I have decided to appoint a latrine captain to oversee this crucial task," More men laughed and Jon continued on, "Brian. Seems like a good job for a ginger."

Everyone in the room began to laugh and many of the men jokingly patted Brian on his back, and Brian laughed as well.

"Ser Alliser," Jon called out, causing the room to become silent, "You have more experience than any other soldier at Castle Black. You proved your valor many times over, while defending the Wall from the wildling attack. I name you First Ranger."

Some of the men began to shout in approval and Alliser looked up surprised. Edd, Annalys, and Sam exchange a look with each other, knowing something wasn't right.

"Lord Janos. I'm giving you command of Greyguard," Jon continued on and Annalys immediately noticed how enraged the man looked.

Janos scoffed loudly, clearly unhappy with what he was appointed to, "Greyguard is a ruin." He complained.

        "Yes, the fort is in a sorry state. Restore it as best you can. First Builder Yarwyck can spare ten of his--" Jon began to say, only to be cut off by Janos.

   "I was charged with the defense of King's Landing when you were soiling your swaddling clothes and your little 'princess' was living in the Red Keep, enjoying the wealthy lifestyle. Keep your ruin." Janos snapped at him angrily.

Some of the men began to talk loudly, clearly complaining. Growing annoyed, Annalys stood up, slamming her mug of ale down, "Alright, enough of that!" She shouted out, her tone of voice causing the men to shut up and turn to her, "Thank you." She said, sitting back down in her seat beside Jon.

"You mistake me, my Lord. That was a command, not an offer. Pack your arms and armor, say your farewells, and ride for Greyguard." Jon explained, which clearly angered Janos even more.