96

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 96. Battle at King's Landing

   The following morning, hundreds of feet in front of the gates of King's Landing, there stood the Northmen and the rest of Daenerys' army

   The following morning, hundreds of feet in front of the gates of King's Landing, there stood the Northmen and the rest of Daenerys' army. The Golden Company stood before them, blocking the gates of King's Landing. The commander of the army, rode in the front of his army on horseback.

   Annalys stood toward the back of Daenerys' army alongside Grey Worm, Davos, and Jon. She looked up, noticing the banners hanging off the walls surrounding King's Landing. A golden lion with a crimson background around it. The Lannister sigil. Her true house.

Annalys glanced down at the armor she wore. The same exact lion on it. All these years, she fought wearing armor and cloaks with lions on it, yet all these years, she fought against men who were lions, just like her. Lannisters. How did it take her so long to realize how much of a traitor she was to her own blood? In all honesty, she deserved death for what she had done.

"If you hear the bells ring, they've surrendered," Annalys heard Tyrion say, snapping her out of her trance-like state, "Call off your men."

Jon, confused, turned to Annalys, who nodded in agreement, telling him that that was what they would do. With that, they both turned around, joining the rest of their army. Soon enough, Annalys heard the roar of a dragon, indicating Daenerys was close. That meant Drogon had survived blowing up the Iron Fleet.

She waited patiently on the front lines with Davos and Jon. The battle was on the verge of starting and Annalys found herself terrified for everyone's wellbeing. Just then, Drogon flew by, setting much of the Golden Company aflame while also burning through the gates of King's Landing.

With that, the men ran through the opening in the wall, the battle now beginning. As the Northmen ran into King's Landing, the Unsullied and Dothraki ran in as well. Annalys watched as the Unsullied and Dothraki slaughtered the Golden Company as if it were nothing. The Northmen soon joined as well, but Annalys did not. She watched as it all happened, but did nothing to do join in.

It was the first. She loved fighting in battle, but Annalys realized there was no point in fighting for a cause she no longer believed in. It was a horrible thing to think, but it was the truth. Why believe in ripping a Tyrant off the throne, only to replace her with another? She watched many soldiers around her from the Golden Company blow up, but did nothing else.

She continued to walk through King's Landing to see the corpses of soldiers from both sides of the battle laying at her feet whenever she went. However, most were the ones loyal to Cersei.

No men attempted to attack her from Cersei's side, which confused her. Perhaps it was the fact that she wore the House Lannister sigil or perhaps it was something else. She didn't know. But she did know that no one even attempted to come her way as she made her way past them.