21

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 21. The Starks Call it Love

 Numerous days later, Annalys and Robb arrived at the Twin's Castle, which was the ancestral seat for the Freys, with their army

Numerous days later, Annalys and Robb arrived at the Twin's Castle, which was the ancestral seat for the Freys, with their army. Walder Frey stood before them, with the rest of their family. A servant walked around with a plate of bread and salt, which Annalys recognized to be because of the Westerosi tradition of 'Guest Right'.

  Once the servant arrived to to her after going to Robb, Annalys took a piece of bread, dipping it into the salt before eating it while staring intently at the Frey man standing before her, "My honored guests, be welcome within my walls and at my table," Walder greeted Robb, Annalys, and the rest of their army, "I extend to you my hospitality and protection in the light of the Seven."

"We thank you for your hospitality, my lord," Robb responded, he and Annalys watching as a servant stopped in front of Walder, allowing him to take a piece of bread from the plate and eat it, "I have come to make my apologies, my lord, and to beg your forgiveness."

"Don't beg my forgiveness, your Grace," Walder quickly responded, "It wasn't me you spurned, it was my girls." the elder man paused, signaling for his female relatives to appear before Robb, "One of them was supposed to be queen, now none of them are."

Annalys frowned, watching Walder Frey call each relative by name, allowing them to briefly look up at Robb, "This is Arwyn, my daughter. My daughter Walda, my daughter Derwa, my daughter Waldra," He paused, allowing himself to chew the bread, "My eldest granddaughters Ginia and Neila."

Annalys turned her head, noticing as Edmure intently watched the Frey women, seeing as though one of them was going to be his wife, "Serra and Sarra, granddaughters, twins. You could have had either. Could have had both for all I care," He paused and Annalys closed her eyes after hearing Walder's comments about his granddaughters, "My granddaughter Marianne. My granddaughter Freya. My granddaughter..." He trailed off, clearly not knowing the name of his granddaughter, "W-W-Wertha? Waldra? Waldina?"

Robb and Annalys briefly exchanged a look as Walder attempted to figure out the girl's name, "I'm Merry." The girl finally spoke up.

  "Fine," Walder snapped at the girl, "And here's my youngest daughter Shirei, though she hasn't bled yet. Clearly you don't have the patience for all that."

After looking at Annalys for a moment, Robb turned his head, looking directly at the Frey girls, "My ladies," He spoke up, glancing around at the women, "All men should keep their word, kings most of all. I was pledged to marry one of you and I broke that vow. The fault is not with you. Any man would be lucky to have any one of you. I did what I did not to slight you, but because I loved another," He explained and Annalys began to tense up when she noticed Walder briefly looking over at her before back at Robb, "I know these words cannot set right the wrong I have done to you and your house. I beg your forgiveness and pledge to do all I can to make amends so the Freys of the Crossing and the Starks of Winterfell may once again be friends."