64

LION AMONG WOLVES
— 64. Dragonglass Caves

     Annalys had been amazed by what she had found in the caves of Dragonstone and she knew she wanted nothing more than to show it to Daenerys

Annalys had been amazed by what she had found in the caves of Dragonstone and she knew she wanted nothing more than to show it to Daenerys. After leaving the caves, Annalys made her way to the end of the long stone path around Dragonstone to find the Dragon Queen walking alongside Missandei and a few Unsullied.

"Your Grace," Annalys called out, causing Daenerys to immediately look up.

She stared at her for a moment before she turned to look at her friend, who gave her a playful smile. Daenerys smiled back slightly, looking a tad bit annoyed. It was as if they knew something that Annalys didn't.

Daenerys' smile became louder as she turned to speak to her Dothraki soldiers. With that, she began to walk toward Annalys, Missandei following close behind. Annalys bowed her head in the form of a greeting before she led the two women to the caves, where Jon was already waiting for them.

Davos stood at the front of the cave, holding out a torch for her to take. Annalys smiled, giving him a thankful look before grabbing the torch. She began to lead the two women through the cave, "I wanted you to see it before we start mining it. It's a wonderful sight, let me tell you."

Annalys held her lit torch outwards, allowing her to see where she was going. After turning a corner, Annalys walked down a few steps, causing Daenerys to look up in shock.

Jon walked over to join the group, standing beside Annalys as she placed the torch inside a brazier, lighting it up. She then walked over to the cave's walls, illuminating the Dragonglass around it before she handed the torch to Daenerys.

With that, Annalys and Jon started to walk deeper into the cave, "Well, this is it. All we'll ever need," Jon spoke up with a small smile on his face.

Daenerys continued to stare up at the dragonglass, clearly at a loss for words. Annalys and Jon turned to each other, exchanging a look before they looked back at the Targaryen woman, "There is something else we want to show you, Your Grace," Annalys informed the woman in a calm tone, causing Daenerys to give her a questioning look.

Annalys gestured her head in another direction of the cave, leading to Daenerys and Missandei following Annalys and Jon. It took a moment for Daenerys to catch her breath as she became shocked by what Annalys had shown her.

The walls of the cave were filled with both dragonglass and the carvings of numerous symbols dating back to thousands of years before they were alive.

"The Children of the Forest made these," Jon informed the group in a calm tone.

"When?" Daenerys questioned, glancing around in shock.

"A very, very long time ago," Annalys responded, a small smile on her face as she looked around in amazement.

"They were right here," Daenerys stated, causing Annalys to turn to her, "Standing right where we're standing. Before there were Tagaryens or Starks or Lannisters. Maybe even before there were men."